Saturday, January 2, 2010

50 Dangerous Things: A New Year's Resolution

One of the things I came upon while browsing the inspiring talks last year at www.ted.com was a summer camp program for kids called Tinkering School by Gever Tulley. Pretty cool stuff. There's talk the next camp will be in Seattle this summer. I think it would be so cool if Ethan could go. We went to their blog and watched some of the things they've done and it looks neat. Until then, my goal is to focus on the book that I just got in the mail titled Fifty Dangerous Things (you should let your children do) by Gever Tulley with Julie Spiegler. It outlines in a parent and kid-friendly way how to engage in dangerous or scary activities in a safe way. Some deal with social realms like, "Kiss Hello Like the French", while others cause you to observe and experience the physical world such as, "Throw Things from a Moving Car". There are reasons and related information for each activity.

So, as I do these activities with my kids I plan on taking pictures and blogging about each one. I don't know if we can get to all fifty, but some are easier than others and some we have already done prior to knowing they were "dangerous". And I got off to a great start today by letting Cedar steer the car. She did great even with the snow!

No comments: