Since going "home" - I don't know when I'm going to stop thinking of where I grew up and where my parents still live as home - wasn't an option for Thanksgiving we decided to take a trip a little closer to home. Thanksgiving Day was great because we went on a small hike up the mountains nearby and found a frozen waterfall. I'm pretty sure it's seasonal, but it was so neat to see the snow and ice in this large alcove in the side of the mountain. Too bad I didn't have the camera with me then. We'll have to go back. We spent the evening at the home of a coworker of mine. It was very kind of her to think of us and invite us for dinner with her husband and kids, and the food was wonderful.
Today we drove to Salt Lake City for our little vacation. After stretching out at Sugar House Park, where I nearly fell into the creek at least five times trying to photograph the kids, we made our way to the cheap movie theater and watched The Smurfs in 3D. It was the kids' first 3D movie, as the tickets were only $3.50, and we all enjoyed the movie. The kids did not want to recycle their glasses. My favorite part was when Cedar turned her head and looked at me for several seconds, then leaned over and whispered, "We look like spies!" Then we showed up to our hotel, the Plaza Hotel just west of Temple Square. As per the unwritten and annoying-to-parents rule the kids started bouncing off the walls. We left as soon as possible and walked down a few blocks to Settebello Pizzaria Nepaletana. Myles lost a tooth before the food came. It was soooo good and the kids ate well, even Myles with his freshly missing tooth. They shared the Nutella gelato between the three of them really well, too. After dinner we walked up to the lights at Temple Square and enjoyed walking around. The kids were cooperative with me trying to get a good picture of them. I thought it was too cold for my hand to be out of it's glove taking pictures, but I did it. :-) There was a point when the kids where a fair distance away up on the steps of the temple for a picture when a kind stranger told us that our daughter was a keeper and that she had big, beautiful eyes. He's right. :-) Since the kids were good and the air was cold we got them hot chocolate on the way back to the hotel. We aren't sure what tomorrow holds, but I'm sure we'll find something.
No comments:
Post a Comment