I am staying home from church with my sick daughter today so I have a little time on my hands. I thought I should explain my blog title.
Ever since moving to this small Eastern Oregon town I have been called a hippie by youth and adults alike. Not every day, but enough. Apparently I stick out like a sore thumb. Any real hippie would laugh because I am far from what I know a hippie to be. Being called a hippie actually makes me laugh, too, but out of confusion. What do they mean? So, what if I really am a hippie? What do I do to deserve being called a name they seemingly understand as a person's physical characteristics or way of life and acceptable to make fun of? It didn't take long for some of Eastern Oregon's stereotypes to reveal themselves. Anyway, then someone admitted that I wasn't really a hippie, but that I was more of a granola. (Would hippie and granola be proper nouns?) Personally, I identify with the term granola more than hippie so I guess that's an improvement. I still can't help but wonder why or how that's how people see me. Why is it seen as a point of difference? What is it that they think they know about me? Yeah, I enjoy quality outdoor clothing and gear. I camp and hike. I don't hunt or fish. I wouldn't mind fishing for salmon but I don't have the gear. I like to eat quality and healthy food, including food from a garden or farmer's market or food from different countries. I believe in the medicinal power of common things in their more or less untouched state. There is nothing better than being able to grind your own wheat and bake bread with it, especially when it turns out right. I don't like being a consumer or being wasteful. I want to recycle and be a good steward of Earth. I don't believe in a whitewashed truth from any country or culture. I hope for equity and justice for all, not just those who are like me. On top of that I may be inconsistent and hypocritical at times. If that's what makes a hippie or granola then so be it. I don't see what is so funny or peculiar about those things. I wonder if it doesn't come from a deeper root of intolerance. Sheesh, sorry to get so serious.
So, the title of this blog is now Granola in a Different Bowl because of my experiences of feeling out of place here in Eastern Oregon.
5 comments:
Kevin,
I love you and your family. I wish that I had the self-discipine to stay on the path of less waste, more earth friendly. I am from Western washington - the mountains, the rain forrest - but small town still. I am just not a city girl. And in rural Western parts, we still used to refer to city kids as yuppie, hippie or granola. Shame on us. I do have some college friends, one of my best, who was "granola" also. I love her and everything she stands for. I admire you. I love your laid back attitude. I love how nice you are to EVERYONE!!! I wish that I could act more like you at times. So, I don't see you daily, so maybe there's some "not so nice" things that Kevin Harper does, but I wouldn't believe it if someone told me. You are awesome. I hope you don't move away from us, but I would understand if you did! :) If you did move, I know it'd be because of where the term "granola" came from! The other thing I bet you have though is a big heart for forgiveness! I am hope I am right on that one and you will feel welcomed to watch the SuperBowl with us again!
Kevin
I love you! And I think most of all I love that you are a granola because of how much I am not! The funny thing is I think we share a lot of the same ideas about being self sufficient and taking care of the outdoors we just say it different. Your outdoor gear and mine probably cost the same they just have different names mine Redneck yours Yuppie (names not given by me but by “others”). I really hope that you don’t take what I do as mean or intolerant. You’re the yin to my yang dude bro (had to drop that in it was getting a little weird there). Anyway I’m totally with ya!
DeadRock
WE LOVE YOU TOO, KEVIN!!!! I always thought being granola was a compliment! Not really intended as one, but, still a really cool thing to be.
I think everyone has experienced being out of their element. Well, at least I have. It is a hard, not fun place to be in. I swear I'm the biggest wierdo around. I know the people here absolutely love you just the way you are. 'Teasing' you is one way they show it. If they thought you were a freak, they would probably be mean, avoid you, and call you names behind your back. But you are totally awesome.
okay, so I feel the love.
A couple of things - I know there are all types of people no matter where you go. With time you will associate with the ones you identify and have common values with.
The other, I hope nobody feels I was singling them out. I know at least 3 people have read my blog (yeah!) and thank you for your kind comments.
I think I understand teasing. What I don't understand is the repeticious pattern. I think when you meet someone new or discover something new about someone it is normal to find the humor, notice the differences, and tease them a few times about it.
Oh, I forgot to mention the stranger who asked if I was a tree hugger. I was in Pendleton working at the ESD last year, shared some small talk with some lady and she asked me if I was a tree hugger. How do you respond to that? I was perplexed. I think we should allow fires to burn naturally to clean the forest floor (otherwise too much fuel will be allowed to grow and when a fire does come through it will cause a raging hot fire and kill the trees, too, instead of just the underbrush.) And I don't think we should clear cut or slash and burn. If I understand the science correctly, trees are the reason we have the air we breathe.
So, maybe I take people's comments of being a granola, hippie, or tree hugger more seriously because, well, I'm not a big teaser, but because I take seriously comments and attitudes that don't serve to help or educate - in anything, not just the environment. Again, I have my own areas of inconsistencies and apologize in advance if you catch me taking a long hot shower. I know it's wasteful. I don't think I even have a low flow shower head. Anyway ... Unfortunately, people really believe environmental issues are a bunch of hogwash. So, that may be why I automatically put up the defense and interpret comments as negative.
What we say and do individually has a collective impact on this world.
Kevin! Thank you so much for dropping me a note, directing me to your blog, and for this post! Stereotypes are a perplexing thing. Should the door open to you, we're loving it over here in a more westerly direction. A little more granola friendly but no strong whiffs of patchouli or nag champa. You guys would love it!!! At least come visit! We'd love to see your family again!
Post a Comment