Sunday, April 12, 2009

"We don't do that" and Easter Morning Traditions

Okay, this morning at one of my church meetings someone was sharing Easter memories they do not look fondly upon. It was the whole Sunday-Easter-outfit-and-family-photo tradition that this person was recounting, which I have heard grumbling musings about from many different people on this very thing. I have memories of an Easter outfit, believe it or not, which I felt embarrassed about. Sorry, Mom. I am grateful for everything you've done for me, but I felt like the biggest dork for having such a coordinated spring outfit. Fortunately, I don't have a picture. This is what I remember - pastel yellow pants, matching socks to be worn with my leather stitched boat shoes and matching belt, a pastel yellow knitted tie, and short-sleeved, spring-colored madras pattern button-up shirt. Apparently, that was cool ... at least the knitted tie.

Thinking I have been a better parent for not making my family participate in such a seemingly high priority of family bonding I commented something like, "Oh, yeah, we don't do that", implying that my wife and I have learned from other people's mistakes. I was surprised by what my eyes saw when I walked in the door of my house upon returning from my meeting. I froze as I saw Kim frustratingly trying to compose the equally frustrated and uncooperative kids to capture the Kodak moment. I even started helping by opening up the blinds and curtains to let in the natural light! What was I thinking? At least the lighting will be good. Admittedly, we bought the boys new Sunday clothes (white shirt, tie, khakis) for the occasion, which they needed anyway. Pretty standard, no pastels. Kim made Cedar a dress, which, although made for Easter, is highly functional in just about any setting. No pastel colors either, just standard pink with polka-dots. Plus, Kim made it and that's pretty cool. But the photo session - that was a surprise and ironically timely considering my comment without her knowledge. So, here's to a tradition that must be hard wired somehow in our genetic makeup. (In case you're wondering, Cedar is drinking from her new water bottle she got in her Easter basket this morning. Each of the kids got one and she was particularly attached to it at the moment.)

2 comments:

tina said...

Yeah, we don't do that either - REALLY! :) No easter pics. I have a few of Paden from the park, but that's about. I think it's more that I've been lazy with the Camera lately. These are fabulous though. Good memories (to remind you not to try that again)! :)

Anonymous said...

I remember the outfit you are talking about...I liked it. But I'm not sure I have pictures. So take those pictures and laugh at them in years to come. Your kids will love remembering, even if it's not very pleasant at the moment. (Now I need to go hunt for a certain pastel Easter picture). Mom