Monday, January 11, 2010

50 Dangerous Things: 01 - Lick a 9-volt Battery


























Have you ever tasted electricity? The beginning of a resolution began last night with reciting the oath/creed/motto thingy in the front of this new book I got, 50 Dangerous Things (you should let your kids do) by Gever Tulley. To make it official we signed and dated the event on a piece of paper. Cedar was already asleep when this happened, but I'm sure we'll be able to catch her up.

Have you ever stuck your tongue to a 9-volt battery? It's scary!! But there isn't anything to be scared of, other than that you get a little shock. We had a fun time psyching ourselves out. I was the first one to do it and I needed a lot of help. It took several times before I actually did it (note picture of Myles gladly helping), which explains why there are more picture of me. The sensation is difficult to explain. If you leave it on for a full second the muscles in your tongue convulse, maybe like a tazer to the body on a small scale. It feels really weird. If you try this yourself the book cautions not to leave the battery on for more than a few seconds at a time.

Myles said, "Whoa! It just shocked me!" Kim said, "It has a weird aftertaste." Ethan said, "I don't want to do it." I said, "AHHHH!" :-)

What will you say?

1 comment:

Morgan and Joel said...

Okay, so I have ALWAYS wanted to do this but have been way too chicken. I'm already getting excited to try it!!!