Saturday, September 11, 2010

50 Dangerous Things: 19 - Stand on the Roof

Summer appeared to have changed a few things, namely our family schedule and routines. Our focus on completing Gever Tulley's 50 Dangerous Things became hazy. Our Family Fun Nights weren't as organized or didn't happen to begin with because, well, it was summer. We did happen to travel quite a bit, too. Now that school has been in full swing for two weeks we are starting to get back into our daily rituals.

To start this dangerous activity we sat down on the couch and read the warnings, related history, and explanation. The kids could hardly be bothered with the reading and couldn't wait to get on the roof. Though we took a second and googled 'Chicago City Hall' and saw some wonderful pictures of their roof.

Ethan predicted, "it will feel like I'm a bird." We didn't formally revisit these predictions, but he didn't mention being disappointed, so, maybe he did. It's hard to tell how kids think and perceive things. :-) Myles predicted, "it will feel scratchy."

We encouraged taking up to the roof with us a few objects that roll and have a race with them. It didn't last very long. In the one or so second it took for the objects to roll down the roof it appeared Myles' basketball won, Ethan's basketball came in second, and my little foam ball was obviously last. They had fun rolling the balls down and I had fun knowing they were learning science. I can't help it. I'm a parent AND a teacher. Sometimes I think my kids are doomed because of it.

They were nervous about looking over the edge at the peak but they did it. I told them we should each get an egg, build a protective system for it, then drop them from the peak of our roof. They liked that idea.

Cedar did not want to get on the roof. She is a tad small yet. She enjoyed telling Kim to take pictures of her down below.

Can you guess what song I have stuck in my head since this activity?





























4 comments:

strivingforsunshine said...

"Up on the house top reindeer pause"

Kevin said...

Good guess Kim, but nope.

Jenny said...

dang, i wish we were neighbors! you guys are the coolest!

Kevin said...

Blogs are great that way, Jenny. You don't get the full feature film, just the trailer highlights that make the rest of the movie look good. :-) thanks. It looks like to guys are pretty cool neighbors in your new little place. Thanks for the color inspirations.