Today we drove through snow uphill both ways to hunt for a Christmas tree suitable for our religious and non-secular festivities. It is the first real tree we have had since living in Utah. Ten years ago we were faced with the choice between real vs fake and felt like we didn't want to afford an imported Christmas tree. So fake it was for 10 years. That thing was a steal. Kim liked to calculate the annual cost each year we pulled it out. It came down to $2.22 per year. The stand broke and a friend offered to fix it ... He still has the stand. I hope he didn't fix it! The fake bows have now been fashioned by Kim into an outdoor wreath to alleviate any guilt about being wasteful. I would like to note the circular frame that provides the skeleton of the wreath came from a broken tomato cage that I repurposed. Another one of our decoration additions was the upside-down tomato cage that I wrapped lights around to make a tree for our front entry area. I should write to Mother Earth News and get that little tip published! ...back to the mountain ... So, we started slipping on the mountain road and couldn't go any more. We decided that was the perfect place to start hunting for our tree. :-) The left side was too steep to walk up so we decided to go downhill. It didn't take long. I think we went the 50 feet away from the road that was required and nearly cut the first decent tree we saw. Dragging it up to the car was hard work, but no work is worth doing unless it's hard, right? Isn't that what they say? Anyway, we got it on the car, turned around without getting stuck, and drove to a nearby campground to have lunch and play in the snow. On the way down the mountain we picked up a hitchhiker and his two grandkids. They had gotten stuck and were walking the 17 miles back to Grandma's house to get her rig to pull them out. The day's adventures were shared with our kind neighbors and a Springer Spaniel that we were watching for some friends. The natural flocking on the tree didn't last long in the house, but our tree looks great. For some reason the kids initially went for a Mardi Gras look by decorating the tree with various plastic beaded necklaces. I think it looks better with the addition of Christmas ornaments. It smells great and it's the best looking tree we've had yet.
Merry Christmas
No comments:
Post a Comment