Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Butterflies and Busking

This afternoon Ethan befriended this lovely specimen of what appears to be a Tiger Swallowtail.  It got caught by sprinkler water and was sitting in the grass.  Ethan was able to hold him for quite awhile, bringing it inside to show us, walking back outside, and posing for pictures until its wings were dry enough to fly away.  







This evening the kids went to the park and Myles decided to take his fiddle.  I think his plan was to earn money to replace something he and his siblings broke.  In the past (since coming across the book 50 Dangerous Things You Should Let Your Children Do by Gever Tulley) and every now and then, we have encouraged him to busk, but always with the phrase 'when you get better'.  He enjoys the attention from lessons but practicing has always been a huge issue.  So, in my humble opinion as a non-fiddler he hasn't developed the skills to busk with his fiddle.  Anyway, about 30 minutes after the kids left, Kim and I decided to go get them so we could run an errand.  We met up with them as they were leaving the park to come home and Myles confidently proved to us with cold hard cash that he was given more than $5 in ones and some change, all for playing Hot Cross Buns.   Look at that kid.  How could you not give him money?  Barefoot, dirty face from dinner, ratty pants, stained shirt, crumpled top hat, caring eyes, and a friendly smile.  I wish I could upload the image from my what I saw as Kim and I had just entered the park of the three kids in an offset, staggered formation meandering down the slightly sloped, green grassy field with the soft evening sun kissing their innocent faces before they saw us -- that was my favorite part of the day -- but the reenactment of Myles busking right after we got home will have to do.  





Myles insisted on this pose


No comments: