 |
| Popo Agie River, Sinks Canyon State Park, Wyoming |
We went on a short, last-minute adventure last weekend. Kim's work schedule is a little challenging to dance around because we don't feel like we can be gone EVERY Sunday. After all, she is the Relief Society president, and a darn good one too! She makes sure she knows what is being taught so she can have something insightful to share and buck cultural and social norms, and highlighting things like the importance of how we treat others. Okay, enough about her. :-)
As I was saying, we got out of town. Apparently, I went a little too quickly because I forgot some important, though non life-threatening items (Kim did the lions share of packing the day before, she walked to work that morning and the kids and I picked her up in the afternoon to go straight out from there) ... and I got my first speeding ticket. I was a little miffed and felt justified going about 73 in a 65 on a beautiful sunny day with little-to-no traffic on fairly straight stretches of road in the middle of "nowhere" -- about 10 minutes south of Lander. Nevertheless, the officer gave me a small ticket and a kind reminder that the MAXIMUM speed is 65 on secondary roads. ??? I understand that's the posted speed limit, but who actually drives no more than 65 mph? ... except for me after my surprise meeting with the police officer. He also told me I need to change my plates from Oregon to Wyoming -- I think he was just jealous ... something to do with taxes and maintaining roads. On the positive side, Jenny the Dog didn't even so much as make a sound when the uniformed man came to my sheepishly open window. (The scenario that played in my head: Jenny ferociously barks and lunges over me, startling the officer to step back into the road ... Thankfully worst-case scenarios hardly ever happen.) -- Good dog, Jenny! The officer also did not mention the missing brake light and ignored the lack of proof of vehicle registration, which I found in the deep recesses under the captain seat while cleaning out the car yesterday. ??!! *sigh*
After visiting Ace Hardware in Lander to buy a slip chain and leash for Jenny (remember the non life-threatening forgotten items) we made it to Sinks Canyon State Park. We stayed in the Popo Agie Campground (pronounced Puh-Po Shuh, Crow Indian word for "gurgling water"). Site 8 was lovely - right by the river and cable bridge leading to hiking trails and rock climbing. We walked the mile loop before a game of UNO and going to bed.
 |
| Cedar enjoying playing in the river. |
 |
| Ethan striking his new pose. |
The next morning, as hot as it was, the kids wanted hot chocolate. I'm glad the backpacking stove didn't give me any problems or we may have had some unhappy campers. We packed up and went to the visitor's center and saw The Sinks, and walked 1/4 mile down to The Rise. Then we had lunch up the road at a picnic area before hiking 1.5 miles of 1000 feet elevation gain along the river to some swimming holes. I forgot to take pictures, but one of the holes has a 10 foot drop off from a 15 foot natural rock slide. Myles enjoyed a smaller version in one of the other holes.
 |
| It was so dry there wasn't any condensation in or even under the tent, so we didn't have to wait for it to dry out before putting it away. |
 |
| river from campsite |
 |
| river from campsite |
 |
| river from campsite |
 |
| There were lots of butterflies. This one seemed to like Cedar's smelly shoe. |
 |
| Butterfly power! Ya know, it's causing a storm in another part of the world. :-) |
 |
| Myles in the morning |
 |
| Myles coming to enlightenment about his relationship to nature and the universe. |
 |
| The Sinks, where the Popo Agie River sinks, or disappears into the mountain. |
 |
| The Rise, looking down from the platform above, where the Popo Agie River rises, or reappears out of the mountain a quarter mile later. The non-stocked fish are protected, though allowed to be tossed pellet food from humans who pay the quarter fed fish food machine. |
 |
| One of many cascading series along the Popo Agie River, just below the swimming holes. |
After going down and eating in Lander and enjoying some ice cream (one reader board indicated that is was 102!) we went back up past the campground, past the trail head, and kept going up, up, up over the ridge on a long dirt road past little lakes, campgrounds, and trails to more adventures. The scenic way home was fun and I only almost drove off the road once. (No big deal - it was the uphill side! Sheesh!) We saw one moose and several deer so it was worth the 3 hour drive home ... mostly. The kids may have a different opinion about the length of the drive, though I think they will admit to having fun. :-)
 |
| Cedar's ice cream treat ... I think most of it made it to her tummy. |
 |
| The moose we saw on the scenic drive home. |
 |
| I know it looks like a hose, but I didn't want to get too close. This was not a Grand Teton/Yellowstone moose who is used to seeing gobs of gawkers. |
 |
| Louis Lake, the last lake on Louis Lake Road. photo by Cedar |
 |
| Louis Lake, photo possibly by Ethan |
No comments:
Post a Comment