Saturday, April 25, 2009

What Not to Say to Kids About Food

I am really enjoying the weekends when I make more time to read - blogs, that is. I've never been much for novels of any kind. I much prefer academic journals or articles related to education, culture, or health, or things with an emphasis on design, whether it be landscaping, architecture, interior design, photography, painting, product design, graphic design, or the like. Above all, it has to be short.

Anyway, I was reading a Psychology Today blog after putting the kids down. I had to laugh at myself because I have said ALL the things the author says not to say to children about food. Interestingly, I seem to remember a parent or two saying the exact same things to me. They are:

"Don't play with your food!" The picture above was taken today before I read the blog. Ethan and Myles were playing with their food. I'm all about this kind of play. However, I don't like tossing, flicking, flooding, or submerging. I guess if they cleaned it up, more power to them. So maybe I should say, Don't make a mess with your food unless you eat it...? Note: Ethan said the apples are the dimples of the banana smile

"No dessert until you finish your meal!"

"Finish everything on your plate!"

"No laughing at the dinner table!"

"Feel bad? Let's go for ice cream."

"If you're good, you get a treat!"

"Don't you realize that kids in Africa are starving? You should feel thankful to eat!"
Click here or the link above to get the article, which explains why we shouldn't say those things.
Cheers!

No comments: