Friday afternoon Ethan, Myles, and I set out the front door with our gear and ventured off through our town to join our church ward's annual father-and-son camp out. We hiked a mile or two over to the river and slept over night at the campground. Though, the minute we started hiking the boys began panting. They were being silly of course, but they didn't realize it. They carried their sleeping bag, clothes, water, and stuffed animals. They certainly were not packed down like pack animals, so the panting was definitely a child's dramatic interpretation of what backpacking is supposed to look like. There was only one minor flesh wound after Myles misstepped while "practicing balancing for kindergarten" on a section of curb between the City Hall and grocery store. We rested at the library. A little while later we stopped at the hamburger joint and had dinner. They loved it, especially the cream-filled chocolate covered donut for dessert. Then we went into the gas station to buy some candy to eat later that night in the tent. We slept great. In the morning we enjoyed breakfast, which was provided by the Bishop and his councilors. We headed home at about 11:00 am. The funniest part on the way home was when I got down to tie Ethan's shoe in front of Banner Bank. He had been a bit grumpy from the get-go, and keep in mind we were on the main road, which was surprisingly busy. I tied his shoe, got up, and started walking with Myles on our merry way. Next thing I know Ethan was screaming and yelling while down on the sidewalk, "I can't get up! I CAN'T GET UP!" He was lying face up, fists clenched, and eyes shut tight to block the blinding sun, unable to get up as he was weighted down by his backpack. I know he was mad, but I laughed. Stopping at the grocery store to get candy and cold drinks helped make things better. We sat down in the shade at the front of
the store and watched dozens of volunteers spread bark mulch while we relaxed. I was kind of glad I forgot about the city clean-up day. We eventually made it home. Even though I'm sure we looked rather odd walking around our little town, across the freeway to the river and back, I'm glad we did it. Lot's of waves and friendly smiles from passing cars. I can't wait to go "real" backpacking this summer. P.S. - I thought the fuzzy center of this picture looked familiar. Alas, a fingerprint on the camera lens that I will blame on my little budding photographers. Just looking at the previous picture from Spring S'mores I thought it was the smoke creating that hazy effect. Come to think of it, it looks just like the computer and TV screens. Oh well.
No comments:
Post a Comment