Sunday, June 7, 2009

Better Late Than Never

I wanted to write about fighting allergies with rinsing your nasal passages, but Kim vetoed that one when she saw me trying to take pictures of the procedure on myself. It's really great, but I have chosen to write about our garden instead.

I really like the wood frames we put in. Though, I'm not sure they can be called "raised beds" yet because we didn't fill them with any dirt. Maybe next year. We did throw in a few bags of steer manure, but other than that the soil is the original goat-head infested sandy stuff with last year's sunflower jungle seeds everywhere.

Generally, we try to grow things that can't be found in a standard grocery store. Okay, that might sound a little snobbish. We try to make it as exciting as possible for as much labor we are required to put in it. In the end, we are happy with what the Earth gives us. So, we have some purple potatoes, rainbow carrots, yellow watermelon, and a few varieties of heirloom tomatoes mixed with your standard pumpkin, yellow squash, beans, and peas.

Anyway, as usual we planted things late and the garden is very young. As the saying goes, better late than never. We could have been enjoying the fruits of our labor by now if we had been on the stick. The more delicate spring plants will just have to toughen up if they want to be part of a Kim and Kevin family garden. Because the plants are so small I tried to get really close to make them look bigger, but since I told you that I guess there will be no illusion.

Hope your gardens are doing well!


over 250 sq ft of growing space doesn't look like much when the plants are tiny

sunflower

tomato

lettuce

peas

purple potato

bush bean

2 comments:

tina said...

We thought we were late too on our garden, but when we talked to the lady at the nursery, she said we weren't. We started a bunch of tomotoes inside and they were doing really well . . . until we planted them outside - they died. Today, we bought some already grown plants with tomatoes on them already. We only had two cucumber plants come up though - we planted pickling ones, maybe we'll have enough to make one batch! Our popcorn, rainbow carrots and purple potatoes are doing well though.

Morgan and Joel said...

To think that we missed your nasal passage pics!!!

I suppose these beatiful garden pictures will do... :)