We bought a pool we found on Craigslist.org several weeks ago. I was against the idea, but I knew Kim really wanted to take on this new experience. She researched things inside and out and talked with people who had pools to get their feedback and opinions. Now, I love it. I'm glad she stuck to her guns and found a pool. It doesn't really jive with our consumerism ideals, however, we did buy it used. And driving in to Hermiston every day to swim with a bunch of other people sounded less than desirable and cost prohibitive. And it does support our family ideals. The more things we find that we like to do together the better. And even though we aren't hiking in amongst the trees along a river to a swimming hole like Kim and I would love, it does coincide with our desire to be physically active as a family.
Okay, so it might sound that I'm justifying the purchase of the pool. I suppose this my way of thinking it through and reminding myself we did a good thing.
I read recently on my psychology blog that to be happy you should spend money on experiences, not things. This is the way we see the pool. Although it is a "thing" the experiences will presumably outweigh the "thing"ness of it all. And even though we enjoy being in the pool as a family we also like to share. Most of the summer has been spent in the pool friends and family. I can tell the rest of the summer will be spent in the pool with friends and family. You should see the tan lines on the boys already. Yikes!

2 comments:
Those pictures look really inviting. But we can still go hiking in the forest to a swimming spot with you guys, right?
mom
Wow, that thing looks a lot bigger then I thought it was.
Post a Comment