
This was an interesting 50 Dangerous Things activity. Fun for the first 5 minutes, then we weren't sure we wanted our fingers glued together anymore. We tried to do a few things with our newly formed digits, like eat ice cream. That made it better for approximately the duration of eating the ice cream. We experienced the frustration highlighted in the book, especially when we didn't think the nail polish remover was working as quickly as it should have. It was more difficult to pull the fingers apart than I thought. I was scared I was going to rip the skin, and it felt like it, but no harm was done. If you are a contact wearer I recommend taking those out before this activity, or glue some fingers you won't use in taking the contacts out.
Right after the glue had set Ethan said, "I don't like this."
Myles clearly stated, "I DON'T want to do this."
The neat thing about this is, "while your fingers are stuck together, your brain will start to build a new mental map of your hand and its new limitations. This process is performed continually throughout our lives as our bodies grow and age. However, since the mental map of your working thumb and forefinger has been developing since your birth, you will instantly remember how to use your whole hand as soon as your fingers come free" (Fifty Dangerous Things, page 92). I think my fingers were stuck together just long enough to experience this and it was pretty cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment