Last Saturday morning we all woke up early for some reason. I think we were all up by 6:30 a.m. I was checking my Facebook and saw from the National Park Foundation that it was National Public Lands Day (where all National Parks are FREE). I don't know who said it first, but it was said that we should go to Yellowstone. We got excited! Then the responsible-reasonable-logical part of us kicked in and we decided that we had more important things to do around the house, like scrub spray paint off the driveway ... kids can be so creative sometimes, it's great --- that's my false self speaking to protect my true self from spewing forth profanity in public .... like a geyser bursting ... way to bring it back on topic, Kevin. Then like any stereotypical female we quickly changed our minds again, kicked that responsible stuff to the side, and we were throwing things in bags just in case it got too late and we didn't feel like driving back in the middle of the night. Later the kids discovered they didn't pack a few things, but nothing they couldn't survive without. To their credit, some items didn't cross my mind during the oral check-off while I was helping Kim assemble sandwiches. And to my surprise they remembered toothpaste. All three of them. And Myles remembered to pack an
extra tube, even though he forgot his toothbrush.
The scenery was stunning on the way up. Fall colors were brilliant from Pinedale through Grand Teton National Park. Old Faithful was neat because we learned there are trails up behind that give a great view of the building and steam below. Solitary geyser really surprised us the first time. A burst of gas raises the water level quickly to about 4 feet, then falls back down sending waves over the rock surface. We had a good laugh.
 |
| Old Faithful |
 |
| short loop hike up behind Old Faithful |
 |
| Solitary Geyser just after a "surprise" eruption |
We were told Snow Lodge is the only place with Wi-Fi. We needed a connection to find a place to stay near Jackson. Kim couldn't go through the process to connect on her iTouch. Then we asked the receptionist and found out that it would cost almost $5 for one hour. Plan B: Kim calls her mom at home to go through this process with our info over the phone. Priceline did not like our final bid of $120 for 2 star hotels. Plan C: I ask the receptionist for the number to
The Hostel in Teton Village. Lodging is secured in less than 5 minutes for a price we were willing to pay.
 |
| Patiently waiting in Snow Lodge for parents trying to access Wi-Fi to figure out what to do for the night |
 |
| The only big game we saw on our way out when it was almost too dark for a picture |
 |
| This is the kid-demanded photo of the moonrise |
The kids remembered The Hostel from a couple years ago (Teton VIllage has a great 4th of July firework show). It's very rustic and bare bones, but it is great because it's not expensive and you're surrounded by swankiness in Teton Village. We stayed up late playing games in the basement, which is better than any nice hotel I've been in .... since no hotel I've been in has had a basement with various games, it's probably not a fair comparison to the hotels.
 |
| Finally at our place of lodging, The Hostel in Teton Village |
 |
| the kids liked the bunk beds. not pictured are 2 more single beds along the wall |
 |
| Shuffle Board |
 |
| Life |
 |
| Ping-pong ... there was a lot of chasing the ball |
 |
| looks like Cedar is giving Ethan some pointers |
 |
| check out that mean grip and unique form Myles has |
 |
| side of road just before Teton National Park entrance on Moose Road |
The beginning of The Last Hike EVER! They look quite happy in the pictures, but don't be deceived. Singing 99 Leaves on the Tree, our impromptu, innovative, seasonal variation of 99 Bottles of Beer, only lasted down to 73. Hopefully more than the incessant whining I will remember that my family did this hike because I wanted to. clarification: Kim did not whine. I was referring to the kids. But she still was not feeling up for such an adventure at that time. However, they did it for me. Yes, if you don't know already, I like to brag. Bragging rights is part of the reason I make us do these things. But I also want my kids to know they can do hard things, that they are capable. They aren't the "smartest", they aren't the most "athletic", and they still did it. I'd like to think they will be able to do almost anything they want in life as a result of our goal oriented adventures. And they are difficult! I should know, I am there. Sometimes it fills me with emotion that we are doing these things together. I'm so grateful that we can. It would have been so easy to just go out to eat and drive home. At the summit a lady got to talking with the kids. She was very kind to express that she was impressed and praised them for their hard work and accomplishment. It made me happy that they were also hearing it from someone other than me. Nearly everyone at the top got there via the tram. We took the poor man's way up, and we shared the same view with those who paid. (The ride down is free.) But I think we made a stronger connection with ourselves to each other and the outdoors with the experience and perspective of our journey as evidenced with the photos below and the memories I will carry with me.
So, I've heard it before and I'm sure I'll hear it again - This was the last hike, EVER!
 |
| the beginning of The Last Hike EVER! |
 |
| Quaking Aspen almost done being able to 'quake' |
 |
| Ethan spotted this .... ground bird just off the trail. |
 |
| It was camera shy, but it didn't fly away. It was more concerned with eating berries. |
 |
| Not sure what this is, but it was behind some trees along the trail |
 |
| a pointing moose snowboard ramp? |
 |
| me and my kids |
 |
| Kim and the kids |
 |
| mountain terrain and tram |
 |
| I was still worried at this point we wouldn't make it |
 |
| after a quick snack Cedar had some energy to strike a pose |
 |
| chocolate at every mile helped ... a little ... as in, only when we stopped to eat it |
 |
| race to the top ... she was REALLY excited |
 |
| apparently Ethan had a quarter and said the view was awesome |
 |
| looking west from summit |
 |
| looking north from summit |
No comments:
Post a Comment